Thursday, January 15, 2009

On Raising a Grandchild

Yes, I am one of those blessed to be raising a grandchild, something that is far too common in our society today. I love her and really want her to have a good life. My own grown children were talking about some of the things they remember from their childhoods. I was a stay at home mom and we didn't have a lot of money. Now I have a full-time job as a high school teacher and a little more money. I'm glad that I can afford to give Jaydan opportunities, but I don't want her to miss out on the fun things that I did with my kids. I guess I am trying to give her the best of both worlds. My kids liked making cookies with me. I couldn't afford extras. Chocolate chips were a luxury. I remember one time my daughter and her cousin decided they wanted extra cinnamon on the snickerdoodles. Those were the brownest, hardest cookies I have ever seen, but they had so much fun! So last week Jaydan and I made snickerdoodles. I jokingly call them my food storage cookies because they take so little to make. We had fun and the rest of the family devoured them.

2 comments:

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

So sweet - you get to be a great mom all over again!

Anonymous said...

LOL I love Jaydan's shirt!